So this is Christmas…. And what have you done?
Oh. Yeah. We did lots!!! Including making treats for our friend’s best friend!!! Yup Man’s best friend….. BEN!!! ‘Cuz after all even dogs deserve Christmas right? So… the verdict isn’t in at the moment (since Ben hasn’t had a chance to try these yet….that’ll be later tonight I think), but I’ll share it anyway…… the recipe for Duane and Todd’s christmas dog treats…. (Just in case you are wondering…. these are completely human friendly…. IF you like the combined flavours of BEEF and STINKY CHEESE….. somehow or other I’m not so sure you do….. but feel free to use a nice festive cookie cutter shape and make a batch for that person at your office that is on your shit list…. don’t tell them that they are dog treats until they’ve eaten the whole batch though…. and then beg ignorance saying “but they were for your dog!! You DO have a dog right??? All the while laughing up your sleeve at your own brilliance!!!!!)
If you want to treat your favourite Fido to a christmas treat you will need:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup Crisco shortening
- 1l beef broth
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup milk powder
- 1 cup shredded greuyer cheese (the stinkier the better, dogs like stink!)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Reduce your litre of beef broth in a sauce pan until reduced to to 1 and 1/2 cups in volume (side note…. boil the shit out of that stuff until you think you’re down to about 1 cup…. it’s easier to add a little water to bring it up to volume than it is to try and fix things by adding extra flour to dry out your dough…. capiche?)
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, crisco, and boiling beef broth. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Grease cookie sheets (or use parchment paper to line your cookie sheets…. whichever method you prefer).
- Thoroughly stir in cornmeal, sugar, bouillon, milk powder, greuyer cheese, and egg.
- Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until a stiff dough has formed.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, mixing in additional flour as necessary until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Roll or pat out dough to 1/2″ thickness.
- Break out your bone shipped cookie cutter and see if you can fool the dog, they aren’t ALL smart after all, (hopefully you are baking these for a bassett hound…. they may be beautiful dogs but they are as dumb as shit…. trust me, I’ve owned a few…..)
- place 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.
- Cool before serving. Store in a loosely covered container.
- Keep separate from all your other baked christmas goods so the your mother doesn’t try them…… (unless she’s a bitch…. ‘cuz bitches? They LOVE these cookies!!!)
And that’s my favourite (so far) recipe for dog treats….. Jut because I’m on a weight loss journey doesn’t mean that your dog has to be….. right???? Hope your dog enjoys eating them as much as I enjoyed making them and writing this bl0g!!!!! Happy Holidays!!!!!
Thanks for reading